[mou] Western Grebes on Lake Osakis

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:03:47 -0500

I wound my way over to Lake Osakis in Todd/Douglas counties today. I pulled
up to the boat launch in the town of Osakis and was pleasantly surprised to
see 2 Western Grebes about 10 yards in front of me. Then I got out and as I
looked at the lake I realized the grebes were everywhere. I counted 55
Western Grebes in all! 37 of them were seen from the boat launch, the rest
were scattered around the lake. And many white dots in the center of the
lake could also have been Western grebes, so who knows how many there
actually were. Last year there weren't that many here this early, so
hopefully a Clark's will show up this year.
Also on the lake were 6 Red-breasted Mergansers, 2 Common Goldeneyes, and at
least 8 Red-necked Grebes.

Ben Fritchman
Long Prairie