[mou] Snowy Egret

Mark Davis davis@Macalester.edu
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:52:58 -0500

I was travelling with my class (Macalester) on route 12 on our way to
Sand Lake South Dakota on Saturday, April 19th, when we saw a snowy
egret, between Benton and Ortonville.  The bird was with a great egret
and seemed to be associating with it, i.e., when the great egret took
off, the snowy took off and flew with it.  The two birds were standing
in the wet culvert next to the road.  We were able to stop and get a
good look at them before they flew off.  They were approximately 25 feet
away from us.  I'm very familiar with snowy egrets from when I lived in
Massachusetts, and of course a snowy is unmistakable.  The yellow feet
were completely visible when it was standing in the wet, but trodden
down, grass, as was the black bill.  And of course it was much smaller
than the great egret.--Mark Davis

--
Mark A. Davis, Ph.D.       651-696-6102
Department of Biology      fax: 651-696-6443