[mou] Green heron behavior

Betsy Beneke bbeneke@brigham.net
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:12:38 -0500

Hi Chris and All -

I wrote an article for the "Marsh Wren-dition" (Detroit Lakes Bird Club
newsletter) a few years ago after observing a green heron on the Otter Tail
River at Tamarac NWR using a piece of leaf in this same manner.  The heron
was standing on a log in the water and repeatedly picked up the piece of
leaf and dropped it to the water's surface.  When an unsuspecting small fish
came up to check it out - snatch and gulp!  I was so amazed at what I
witnessed, I did some research, and sure enough, green herons are known to
"go fishing."

Betsy Beneke
Brigham City, Utah