[mou] N. Bobwhites

Anthony Hertzel ahertzel@qwest.net
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:37:56 -0500

carol schumacher wrote:

>  =========
>  Folks who have birded in SE for years, show records
>  of
>  N. Bobwhite in Houston, Winona, and Fillmore
>  counties.
>  Maybe a bigger picture approach would be helpful
>  when
>  thinking about this species.

No one is questioning whether or not Northern Bobwhite is being seen
in these areas (or elsewhere). The issue is whether the birds being
seen are wild or released.

>  What is very interesting is that N. Bobwhites like
>  other "chicken" birds show a some variation in
>  numbers
>  from year to year. Gray Partridge, Ring-necked
>  Pheasant, Ruffed Grouse, and N. Bobwhite all vary in
>  #'s.

But you still need a minimum population level to sustain the species.
Recent studies indicate that by the end of the breeding season (right
about now) you ought to be able to find close to 4000 bobwhite in any
one local breeding area. Is anyone in Winona, Houston, or Fillmore
county reporting even 1% of these numbers?

>  The historic range of Northern Bobwhite did
>  encompass extreme southern Minnesota.

Actually, it probably did not.

>  The unpredictability of #'s of Bobwhite is partly
>  due to nesting conditions and
>  naturally
>  occurring population fluctuations (which occur in
>  most
>  bird species.)

But only above a certain population threshold. There is good reason
to suspect that nowhere in Minnesota are there enough birds present
to make this aspect of the discussion relevant.

>  In extreme SE MN what are the NATIVE gallinaceous
>  birds?  Is this list correct?
>  Ruffed Grouse
>  N. Bobwhite
>  Wild Turkey
>  Greater Prairie-chickens

Depends on your definition of "native". All but Ruffed Grouse were
not present anywhere in Minnesota before European settlers changed
the landscape in the 1800s. Greater Prairie-Chickens took advantage
of these changes essentially on their own and so may be considered
native. While bobwhite and turkeys were released by hunters and other
game bird enthusiasts, they may also have moved into Minnesota on
their own.

>  GRPC were so common here during Hvoslef's time that
>  from Lanesboro he could hear them booming from the
>  ridges (per Nancy's work). Whether they were native
>  here before Hvoslef's time is a question that I
>  can't answer.

They were not. Elliot Coues wrote extensively on the advance of
Greater Prairie-Chicken into Minnesota (see Coues, Elliott. 1874.
Birds of the Northwest: A Hand-book of the Ornithology of the Region
Drained by the Missouri River and its Tributaries. Government
Printing Office. Washington D.C. 791 pp.)

>  The most obvious non-native gallinaceous (Sp) birds
>  here in extreme SE MN are Ring-necked Pheasant and
>  Gray Partridge.  Our niece in Kenyon says we hunt so
>  we put back. Right or wrong, hunters release birds
>  ALL THE TIME. Who among us can tell by looking at a bird
>  that it was a released Gray Partridge or released RN
>  Pheasant?   Where is the line of "accepted" turkeys
>  and released turkeys?  Is it not arbitrary? Is it
>  not a political boundary?

The question should be framed as one of reasonable possibility.
Certainly Ring-necked Pheasant, Wild Turkey, and Gray Partridge are
introduced species, but their populations are now thriving and
self-sustaining. The likelihood that one bird seen on any one day is
a recently released bird is fairly remote. On the other hand, it is
almost certain that any bobwhite seen in Minnesota is a bird released
in the past year or two.

--
Anthony X. Hertzel -- axhertzel@sihope.com