[mou] Woodlake's morning Jems, Hennepin Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:04:55

The last month has been slow birding at Woodlake Nature Center in Richfield, but this morning the change was dramatic.  Leslie and I came upon a huge Oak tree surrounded by thicket and the birds were singing and active.  There were Blackburnian, Chestnut-sided, Black-and-white, and American Redstart Warblers.

Then the fun heated up when a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher was flitting back and forth calling.  It finally landed out in an open spot, and we were looking straight up at that orange lower mandible, and bright yellow throat all the way down to the undertail coverts.

In other areas there were Tennessee and Yellow Warblers, and lots of American Redstarts.  The Baltimore Orioles were chattering away, Cedar Waxwings, and a Broad-winged Hawk whistled through.  You could hear the low begging calls of the fledged Coopers Hawks not to far from the nest sight.  Hurray, the migration has fianlly kicked in for us at Woodlake!

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com