[mou] Costa/listing game

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:59:31 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3BDAC.A659BF70

Hello:

Well I am certainly not a listing police guy but I have some answers to =
anyone who plays the listing game and regards to the Costa Hummingbird.

This was taken out of the listing supplement. Also remember when you =
play the listing game you can follow the rules or you can choose not to. =
 Its all a personal choice and NO one will attack you for not doing =
either. So IF you play the listing game here are the rules from the =
listing supplement.

This quote is taken directly from the MOU Listing Supplement rules:

   "The bird must be alive, wild, and unrestrained when observed.

    Netted or trapped birds are not countable while in captivity and a =
bird
    is considered still under the influence of captivity after its =
release
    until it regains the activities and movements of a bird which had =
not
    been captured. A bird is under the influence of captivity during its
    initial flight away from its release point and during subsequent
    activity reasonably influenced by the captivity, such as initial
    perching and preening or early sleeping or roosting near the release
    point. A nocturnal species released during daylight which goes to =
roost
    near the point of release is considered under the influence of =
captivity
    until the next nightfall when it has left its roost and begun normal
    nocturnal activities.

OK OK what about the Anna's Hummingbird in Grand Marais or the Anna's in =
the Twin Cities. YES the homeowner put out a shelter heated box and =
added food in thier so the hummingbird can be sort of protected while it =
fed and also a place to roost in if the hummingbird to choose to roost =
in those heated boxes. In all those cases the hummingbird was able to =
freely fly and go about its business outdoors and not under human =
control.  The hummer still had to deal with the weather/predators and =
etc.. It was treated no differently than Carolina Wrens coming to heated =
feeders with grubs in it.

In this case the bird was lured into a basement and doors were shut. The =
hummingbird is now in captivity. When birders came to photo the hummer =
it was a captive bird and if those birders wanted to know if they can =
count it They have two options, either go by the listing rules and not =
count the bird but just admired it or go ahead and add the bird to thier =
personal list. Either way its your choice.

Now in my opinion I am sure the hummingbird will be added onto the =
Minnesota Bird List. The hummingbird was seen outdoors on its own coming =
to thier feeder. It wasn't initially ID as a Costa till it was filmed by =
some TV crew and a birder knew its identity when he saw the clip on TV. =
The bird was housed in a basement and was confided and its movement were =
controlled by the homeowner. Its just like that Calliope Hummingbird =
record. The Hummingbird looked like a Calliope but no one was absolutely =
sure until it was mist netted and positive ID was than made. So the =
hummingbird was unidentified, lured in the basement, filmed, and than it =
was identified.=20

So I am fairly certain it will be added to the state list. Again I am =
not speaking for MOURC because I am not a MOURC member I am just giving =
my opinion regarding to adding the bird to the state list. Also remember =
MOURC doesn't govern listing rules/nor creates them or spends time with =
them. They don't care about lists or listing rules.=20

I hope this helps.

Mike Hendrickson

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3BDAC.A659BF70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well I am certainly not a listing =
police guy but I=20
have some answers to anyone who plays the listing game and regards to =
the Costa=20
Hummingbird.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This was taken out of the listing =
supplement. Also=20
remember when you play the listing game you can follow the rules or you =
can=20
choose not to. &nbsp;Its all a personal choice and NO one will attack =
you for=20
not doing either. So IF you play the listing game here are the rules =
from the=20
listing supplement.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>This quote is taken directly from the MOU Listing Supplement=20
rules:<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; "The bird must be alive, wild, and =
unrestrained when=20
observed.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Netted or trapped birds are not =
countable=20
while in captivity and a bird<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; is considered still =
under=20
the influence of captivity after its release<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; until =
it=20
regains the activities and movements of a bird which had=20
not<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; been captured. A bird is under the influence =
of=20
captivity during its<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; initial flight away from its =
release=20
point and during subsequent<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; activity reasonably =
influenced=20
by the captivity, such as initial<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; perching and =
preening or=20
early sleeping or roosting near the release<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; point. =
A=20
nocturnal species released during daylight which goes to=20
roost<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; near the point of release is considered =
under the=20
influence of captivity<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; until the next nightfall =
when it=20
has left its roost and begun normal<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; nocturnal=20
activities.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>OK OK what about the Anna's Hummingbird =
in Grand=20
Marais or the Anna's in the Twin Cities. YES the homeowner put out a =
shelter=20
heated box and added food in thier so the hummingbird can be sort of =
protected=20
while it fed and also a place to roost in if the hummingbird to choose =
to roost=20
in those heated boxes. In all those cases the hummingbird was able to =
freely fly=20
and go about its business outdoors and not under human =
control.&nbsp;&nbsp;The=20
hummer&nbsp;still had to deal with the weather/predators and etc.. It =
was=20
treated no differently than Carolina Wrens coming to heated feeders with =
grubs=20
in it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In this case the bird was lured into a =
basement and=20
doors were shut. The hummingbird&nbsp;is now in captivity. When birders =
came to=20
photo the hummer it was a captive bird and if those&nbsp;birders wanted =
to know=20
if they can count it&nbsp;They have two&nbsp;options, either&nbsp;go =
by&nbsp;the=20
listing rules and not count the bird but just admired it or go ahead and =
add the=20
bird to thier personal list. Either way its your choice.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now in my opinion I am sure the =
hummingbird will be=20
added onto the Minnesota Bird List. The hummingbird was seen outdoors on =
its own=20
coming to thier feeder. It wasn't initially ID as a Costa till it was =
filmed by=20
some TV crew and a birder knew its identity when he saw the clip on TV. =
The bird=20
was housed in a basement and was confided and its movement were =
controlled by=20
the homeowner. Its just like that Calliope Hummingbird record. The =
Hummingbird=20
looked like a Calliope but no one was absolutely sure until it was mist =
netted=20
and positive ID was than made. So the hummingbird was unidentified, =
lured in the=20
basement, filmed, and than it was identified. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So I am fairly certain it will be added =
to the=20
state list. Again I am not speaking for MOURC because I am not a MOURC =
member I=20
am just giving my opinion regarding to adding the bird to the state =
list. Also=20
remember MOURC doesn't govern listing rules/nor creates them or spends =
time with=20
them. They don't care about lists or listing rules. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I hope this helps.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3BDAC.A659BF70--