[mou] Northern Shrike

Bruce W. Stahly bstahly@boreal.org
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:10:45 -0600

Today I observed a Northern Shrike at one of my bird feeders (about
three miles west of Grand Marais). It then flew around the house to
another feeder, and quickly dispatched a Pine Grosbeak, which had been
feeding on the ground. After a couple of attempts, it managed to fly off
with the grosbeak. I quickly pulled on my boots and followed it into the
woods. I found the bloody grosbeak in the middle of a footpath, with the
shrike perched in a nearby  tree, so I left it to its meal. Quite a nice
surprise, as today is the bird count for the Grand Marais area.

Bruce Stahly