[mou] Hennepin Cty - possible hoary redpoll

Chet Meyers chetmeyers@visi.com
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:03:07 -0600

This afternoon (Dec. 16) I drove Lakewood Cemetary in hopes of a few winter
finches.  At the south end of the small lake I found a flock of about 50
redpolls in one of the large birch trees between the road and the lake.  One
caught my eye.  It was a male with limited pink on the breast and very faint
streaking on the sides, giving it an overall pale look. Its undertail
coverts were pure white and its head was also light. The flock flew off and
I depaired, but then noticed that this bird remained.  Obviously it wanted
to be viewed.  I moved around with my scope to get a better view of its rump
which did have a few streaks, but very light. Observed the bird for about
twenty minutes. Don't know if there is any significance to this bird
remaining while all the others flew off, and I realize there are those damn
gradations, but it looked like a hoary to me. Hope the flock stays around so
others can make their judgment. The flock did come back just as I was
leaving.
Chet Meyers
Hennepin County