[mou] Woodpecker Evidence

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:54:52 -0600

We have noticed areas that Hairy Woodpeckers have done this in many
different counties of Minnesota.  Generally we hope for a black backed, etc
but if we look around for awhile and return to the site enough times we
invariably find a Hairy Woodpecker doing the stripping.  We presume it has
to do with the food items available in that particular area.  Possibly ants,
etc. from a close ant mound or whatever.

It does not appear to be a common phenomenon but we do see it at least 3-4
times a year.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Weston" <sweston2@comcast.net>
To: "mnbird" <mnbird@lists.mnbird.net>; "Mou-net" <mou-net@cbs.umn.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 12:06 AM
Subject: [mou] Woodpecker Evidence

> while doing the Hastings CBC today, I found about ten trees at Schaar's
Bluff near Hastings that appeared to have had their
> bark scaled off by a woodpecker.  These deciduous trees were all about
three to five inches in diameter and had all the bark
> removed from the base of the tree to about ten to fifteen feet high.  The
chisel marks from what appeared to be the bill of
> a woodpecker were clearly visible.  The shavings of most, if not all, were
ontop of the snow, indicating that the removal of
> the bark was recent.
>
> I am aware that both Three-toed and Black-backed Woodpeckers scale the
bark.  Neither of these would be expected.  There is
> one record of a Black-backed Woodpecker in Dakota County, and one of a
Three-toed not far across the river.  Do any of the