[mou] Feeder freeze frame

Alden McCutchan amccutch@cannon.net
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:40:39 -0500

Birding Friends - Help me understand a just-happened event around our
feeders. With a light snow in the air the feeders have been crowded all
morning.  All at once five downy woodpeckers and a single goldfinch on a
small tree outside our viewing window stopped all motion and held a  rigid
position for 6 or 7 minutes. During this time none of our 12 other regular
visitors came to the feeders.   Almost as suddenly the feeding resumed.  I
suspect a shrike or hawk may have been in the area but could not see it.
We'd enjoy your interpretation .  We observed it yesterday also but not as
carefully.