[mou] NWR's of Becker Co User Friendly..

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:12:34

Leslie Marcus, Susan Schumacher, and I had a fantastic day roaming around in some of the most unbelievably great National Wildlife Refuge Areas at Hamden Slough, and Tamarac.  Bob and Mike were just two
 of the warm, friendly and helpful staff of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife  that we ran into out in the field, and they more than happy to share good locations, and sightings with birders.

We went to the Hamden Slough NWR first to the previously reported location of: from the Headquarters building go east past the lake and turn left (north) at then next corner.  Follow the road over the hill about 0.7 mile to where you will see a small lake on the left, and a pond on the right.  We arrived here at 8am and the Common Moorhens were out in the middle of the pond.

We set up our scopes and enjoyed watching them swim around leisurely on a calm, warm, sunny monday morning so close to the side of the road.  They vocalized and sounded like chickens with their clucks and squeaks, and with their red bill wide open a sharp kik on and off.  The contrast between the black head and neck against the red forhead shield and bill was so striking with the sun shining on it.  Those little black eyes were hard to see they blended in so well.  They would delicately dip that red bill with a bright yellow tip into the water and toss droplets overhead.  At one point they were touching, heads down preening each other.  Then one swam over to a cattail clump climbed up and preened, and the other swam across the pond into the cattails and disappeared.  We were very lucky to have been there until 8:30 when they were out, and witness this encounter under such ideal conditions.

We then headed over to Tamarac NWR where wildlife habitats of tallgrass prairie, northern hardwood, and boreal forests converge that provide a haven for a diversity of wildlife species.  The visitor center is a great place to stop first with feeders and a glimpse into the magnificent view that surrounds it.  From the parking lot you can hear and see such a variety of birds you feel like you will never have enough time to soak it all in.

We took the 5-mile Blackbird Auto Tour Route, and rarely saw another person, and we were able to submerge ourselves into the gifts Nature has provided for us, and the National Wildlife Refuges has protected for us.  The wetlands, grasslands, lakes, and woods will have you reeling with pleasure over the birds and wildlife you can observe.  This is a "must" see perfect summertime adventure that will have you reeling with a state of positive well-being planning your next trip before you even get home!!!!

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com