[mou] Feathers

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@BestBuy.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:49:59 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3516C.BEE803A0

It is also illegal to throw cigarette butts out of a car or to tear off =
the tag on a mattress.  Realistic enforcement of these laws is not =
realistic at all - and I hate the butts all over the sidewalks and =
roads!
=20

Mark Alt
Brooklyn Center, MN
mark.alt@bestbuy.com

"Birds and their songs are important to me, they add to my enjoyment of =
life"=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Hendrickson [mailto:smithville4@msn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 4:13 PM
To: MOU MOU-Net
Subject: [mou] Feathers

A birder wanted to know where he could find feathers for birds for his =
collection and wanted to know the best times. Laura Erickson chimed in =
by saying this is a illegal activity.  I agree it is but I thought about =
how my daughter was excited and was surprised when she found a Barred =
Owl feather laying on a hiking trail in Lanesboro, Mn.
=20
I could of said "STOP!!!! Becca that is ILLEGAL put that feather down =
before we get fined" I thought nothing of it and let her take it home =
for her to enjoy since she has some interest in birds.  I also wonder =
about the many times I led or co-led groups to Lake County Rd. 2 for =
Spruce Grouse and a few times we found a dead Spruce Grouse with =
feathers all over the road and many of the birders took a tail feather =
home.  OOOOPS that was a illegal acitivity on their part.  How about the =
many times birders find a Turkey feather and take it home or a Blue Jay =
feather? Are we going to turn in every birder that grabs a feather on =
the ground!  If so I better go to Canal Park and keep all those tourists =
from picking up all those feathers left by the Ring-billed Gulls that =
are molting about now.
=20
Yes there are laws and yes I would guess there are a small fraction of =
birders that will pluck feathers from birds (LOLOL)  to get a needed =
feather or rob a active nest to get a feather but I would guess 99.9% of =
birders don't engage in those kinds of activities. =20
=20
Take care
=20
Mike Hendrickson

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3516C.BEE803A0

<HTML xmlns:v xmlns:o><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Comic Sans MS; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 name=3D"Compose message area" =
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
acc_role=3D"text">
<DIV><SPAN class=3D954454722-23072003>It is also illegal to throw =
cigarette butts=20
out of a car or to tear off the tag on a mattress.&nbsp; Realistic =
enforcement=20
of these laws is not realistic at all - and I hate the butts all over =
the=20
sidewalks and roads!</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D954454722-23072003></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D954454722-23072003>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D1><I></I></FONT><I></I><I>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Mark Alt<BR>Brooklyn Center,=20
MN<BR>mark.alt@bestbuy.com<BR><BR>"Birds and their songs are important =
to me,=20
they add to my enjoyment of life" </FONT></P></I></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Michael =
Hendrickson=20
  [mailto:smithville4@msn.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 23, 2003 =
4:13=20
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> MOU MOU-Net<BR><B>Subject:</B> [mou]=20
  Feathers<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>A birder wanted to know where he could find feathers for birds =
for his=20
  collection and wanted to know the best times. Laura Erickson chimed in =
by=20
  saying this is a illegal activity.&nbsp; I agree it is but I thought =
about how=20
  my daughter was excited and was surprised when she found a Barred Owl =
feather=20
  laying on a hiking trail in Lanesboro, Mn.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I could of said "STOP!!!! Becca that is ILLEGAL put that feather =
down=20
  before we get fined" I thought nothing of it and let her take it home =
for her=20
  to enjoy since she has some interest in birds.&nbsp; I also wonder =
about the=20
  many times I led or co-led groups to Lake County Rd. 2 for Spruce =
Grouse and a=20
  few times we found a dead Spruce Grouse with feathers all over the =
road and=20
  many of the birders took a tail feather home.&nbsp; OOOOPS that was a =
illegal=20
  acitivity on their part.&nbsp; How about the many times birders find a =
Turkey=20
  feather and take it home or a Blue Jay feather? Are we going to turn =
in every=20
  birder that grabs a feather on the ground!&nbsp; If so I better go to =
Canal=20
  Park and keep all those tourists from picking up all those feathers =
left by=20
  the Ring-billed Gulls that are molting about now.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Yes there are laws and yes I would guess there are a small =
fraction of=20
  birders that will pluck feathers from birds (LOLOL) &nbsp;to get a =
needed=20
  feather or rob a active nest to get a feather but I would guess 99.9% =
of=20
  birders don't engage in those kinds of activities.&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Take care</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Mike Hendrickson</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3516C.BEE803A0--