[mou] Feathers

Christine Petersen petersenca@earthlink.net
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:08:19 -0500

on 7/23/03 6:47 PM, Sharon Stiteler at sharonks@mn.rr.com wrote:

> Whenever I'm out with kids and feathers are spotted I always use it to
> reinforce the phrase, "Take only pictures, leave only foot prints."  Some
> animal is going to get way more use out of that feather than most people
> will by having it collect dust on a shelf.

Very true. The way I approach it is to stop and get the kids to imagine or
investigate the "story" behind the feather -- what bird is it from, how did
it get there, what might happen to it next if left in place? They might not
get to take the feather with them, but they will always have that story to
think back on. It works!

Christine
on the shores of Glen Lake, Minnetonka, Hennepin Co.