[mou] Blue Grosbeaks in Murray County

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:36:24 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C33061.81E7D100

Hello:

Birded throughout southwestern Minnesota today and all in all it was =
pretty uneventful.  The highlight of the day was finding a male and =
female Blue Grosbeak in the Coteau Des Prairies area a few miles =
southwest of Chandler.  The Grosbeaks gave excellent looks as they were =
perched on a fence right near the road.  The male flew up to a nearby =
Cottonwood tree and sang from an exposed branch for about a minute and =
then flew down into an alfalfa field.  I suspect that they might be =
nesting in the Cottonwood grove at this spot (or somewhere else very =
close by). =20

If anyone would like to look for these birds, take Cty. Rd. 4 (or Valley =
Road) west from Chandler for a few miles (sorry, I didn't clock exactly =
how far) until you come to 40th Ave.  Turn left here.  You'll notice a =
small grove of mature Cottonwood trees about a quarter of a mile down =
the road on your right.  This is the spot where the Grosbeaks were seen. =
 If anyone else finds these birds, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye=20

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C33061.81E7D100

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Birded throughout southwestern =
Minnesota today and=20
all in all it was pretty uneventful.&nbsp; The highlight of the day was =
finding=20
a male and female <STRONG>Blue Grosbeak</STRONG> in the Coteau Des =
Prairies area=20
a few miles southwest of Chandler.&nbsp; The Grosbeaks gave excellent =
looks as=20
they were perched on a fence right near the road.&nbsp; The male flew up =
to a=20
nearby Cottonwood tree and sang from an exposed branch for about a =
minute and=20
then flew down into an alfalfa field.&nbsp; I suspect that they might be =
nesting=20
in the Cottonwood grove at this spot (or somewhere else&nbsp;very close=20
by).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If anyone would like to look for these =
birds, take=20
Cty. Rd. 4 (or Valley Road) west from Chandler for a few miles (sorry, I =
didn't=20
clock exactly how far) until you come to 40th Ave.&nbsp; Turn left =
here.&nbsp;=20
You'll notice a small grove of mature Cottonwood trees about a quarter =
of a mile=20
down the road on your right.&nbsp; This is the spot where the Grosbeaks =
were=20
seen.&nbsp; If anyone else finds these birds, I'd appreciate hearing =
from=20
you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sleepy =
Eye</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F2_01C33061.81E7D100--