[mou] Loons and Lead

MARTELL, Mark MMARTELL@audubon.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:07:18 -0400

If you are interested in protecting the Minnesota's state bird - the =
Common Loon, Audubon Minnesota has the job for you!=20
We are looking for a few good people to staff our lead sinker exchange =
table a few times this summer. You can commit as little or as many hours =
as you wish. Volunteers will work in pairs and hand out information on =
the hazards of lead sinkers, take old lead sinkers from friendly folks =
and give them non-lead sinkers in return. Audubon staff will coordinate =
the set-up and tear down of the information table and dispose of the old =
lead sinkers properly.=20
We will be hosting several lead sinker exchange events this summer at =
various locations, including Cabela's in Owattona and possibly some =
other retail stores in the Metro area, and possibly a special two-day, =
State Fair booth (in addition to our regular booth) devoted specifically =
to lead sinkers.=20
The dates and locations follow:=20
Sat, June 21, 8-5 pm, Cabela's, Owatonna=20
Wed, July 2, 2-7 pm, Gander Mountain, Maplewood=20
Fri. July 11, 2-7 pm, Gander Mountain, Fridley=20
Wed, July 16, 3-6 pm, Joe's Sporting Goods, St. Paul
Thurs, July 17, 3-6 pm, Joe's Sporting Goods, St. Paul
Fri, Aug 1, 2-7 pm, Gander Mountain, Maple Grove
We desperately need volunteers for these events. If you are interested, =
please e-mail me at ssolterman@audubon.org =
<mailto:ssolterman@audubon.org>=20
To learn more about the loon and lead sinker connection, take a look at =
this great article published in the Minnesota Conservation Volunteer =
magazine at =
<http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/mayjun03/toxictackle.html>

Mark Martell
Director of Bird Conservation