[mou] Cinnamon Teal still at 140th

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:45:50 -0500

I think it has already been sorted out.  The teal is most definitely not a =
hybrid.  It doesn't show any characteristics of a hybrid BW/Cinnamon teal. =
 It is a full adult male cinnamon teal molting into basic plumage, with =
some features still present of alternate plumage (head color, eye color).  =
I'm pretty sure both Drew Smith and Jim Mattson both confirmed on the list =
that the bird was not a hybird, and i've seen it several times with Drew, =
as well as when it was first found with John/Chris Hockema, Drew Smith and =
Mark Ochs.  I myself am pretty confident of the identification, though I =
make no claims of being any sort of expert.  I'll leave the expert work to =
Drew and Jim.

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P.
Fridley, MN
(763) 572-5320
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> "Thomas Margevicius" <tominstpaul@msn.com> 06/16/2003 12:17:07 PM >>>
Greetings birders.=20

Karol Gresser and I refound the eclipse (molting?) plumage Cinnamon Teal =
around 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon at 140th Marsh in Dakota County. We =
scanned the far (north) shore of the pond for a half hour before we found =
the bird. We located the bird only 3 minutes after another gentlemen =
(didn't get his name) left after futilely searching himself. A scope is a =
virtual necessity.=20

Compared to the Blue-winged Teals, Mallards, Pied-billed Grebes, and Coots =
that frequent the pond, the bird is not hard to differentiate: it is =
small, still has an entirely cinnamon-hued torso and the unmistakable =
Shoveler-like bill. I'll let those more expert than I sort out whether =
this bird is a hybrid.

We also stopped briefly at the Empire power station on 210th Street in =
Dakota County, just west of Co Rd 81. We found Dickcissels, Western =
Meadowlarks, and the usuals, but no Mockingbird.

Fr. Tom