[mou] Merlin- St. Paul

Matthew J. Solensky rattsky@netscape.net
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 19:41:44 -0500

Hi Folks,
This morning I was out looking for Merlins at some of the nest sites from last year, and saw the first one of the year (for me). It was a brown-backed bird, and by size it looked like a male. Thus making it a fledgling from last year. It was near the intersection of Hamline Ave. & Summit Ave in St. Paul. Which is very close to one of the nesting sites last year. It was cruising around quite a bit, hunting and stooping crows (several of which were carrying sticks). Clearly not intent on nesting yet. Please let me know if you have any Merlin observations in the Twin Cities from now thru August. Thanks.
Matt Solensky
(763)792-4036