[mou] RB Nuthatch

Jeff Dankert renohawk@hbci.com
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 23:38:31 -0600

I was surprised Sunday when I spotted a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH with a
flock of seven chickadees, in a white pine grove, Trout Valley Unit of
the state forest. This is on the Wabasha-Winona County line, along
County Road 31. The pine grove is in Winona County. And I say surprised
because RB Nuthatches have nearly been non-existent here this winter.

The nuthatch was appropriate for the weather. The blowing cold and
ridge-top wind erased any evidence that it was March 9. HORNED LARKS
were an exception, with hundreds along the roadsides in groups of six to
10 each. Also, two female RING-NECKED PHEASANTS were seen feeding at a
field edge in Warren Township, Winona County.

In the canal that drains from Lake Winona, there were four HOODED
MERGANSERS, including two males, up three from one female that has been
there since early February, a weak, but definite, sign of migration. The
two GREEN-WINGED TEAL also were there.

Available open water drastically shrunk from the cold front. Below Lock
and Dam 5 on the Mississippi River, there were 110 COMMON GOLDENEYES,
down from the previous week's 280. BALD EAGLES are starting to
congregate, but nothing to schedule a day around yet. And so far, I have
not seen one gull this spring, an unusual situation by March 9 on the
Mississippi River.

My Sunday count of 25 gadwalls from several spots in Winona County is
down from last week's 42. Two GREATER SCAUP and two COOTS remain on Lake
Winona.

In birding-related traffic news:
I scrunched busted my passenger side rearview mirror against a very
solid, immovable sign post along state Highway 74 in Whitewater Valley.
And you'll love this: It happened as I leaned forward to eyeball a hawk
soaring from left to right. My trusty 1991 Nissan pickup veered slightly
off track, got caught up in the snow on the shoulder, and slid alongside
the sign post (which didn't have a sign attached). I was traveling about
15 mph (tailgaters hate me), but the heavy gauge post and snow sucked me
in. I need a new mirror and slight readjustment so my passenger side
door opens all the way, but all-in-all, I escaped unscathed to bird
another two hours in the vehicle that won't take no for an answer! By
the way, the bird was an IMM. RED-TAILED HAWK.

Regards,
Jeff Dankert
908 Parks Ave Apt 158
Winona MN 55987-5330