[mou] Hennepin-Dakota Sharpies, Harrier, shrike

C. Mansfield bikebirder75@yahoo.com
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:28:31 -0800 (PST)

--0-27547589-1047778111=:30308

A few more birds on the move March 15th afternoon, 3:00-5:30 PM:  in the raptor department, 4 adult Sharp-shinned Hawks migrating over east Bloomington, female Kestrel perched on wire near Mall of America, male Harrier flying north over Hwy 13 near the Mendota bridge, plus all the Bald Eagles and Red-tailed Hawks soaring.  I finally got my 2003 merganser hat trick at Black Dog: one drake Red-breasted Merganser with the Common Mergansers, and at least 50 Hooded Mergansers.  Also at Black Dog I was able to count about 80 Ring-necked Ducks, and about twenty scaup (the two close enough for me to ID were Lesser).  Shrike (presumably the Northern that has been seen all winter, but it spooked before I could get my binocs on it) west of the observation deck on the north side of Black Dog.  Two Red-winged Blackbirds singing west of the deck as well.  Spring!

Chris

Chris Mansfield
Richfield, Hennepin Co. MN
bikebirder75@yahoo.com