[mou] Tundra Swans Hennepin Co

Christine Petersen petersenca@earthlink.net
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:29:07 -0600

--MS_Mac_OE_3130694947_88486_MIME_Part

on 3/16/03 10:25 AM, George B Skinner at george.skinner@gte.net wrote:

>Anne and I saw 25 or so Tundra Swans fly over our neighborhood in Minnetonka
just west of >Hopkins this morning at 9 am. They were headed west northwest.

I'm right near you, George (we're on Glen Lake, near the intersection of 494
and Excelsior), and am darned sorry to have missed that sight!

Glen Lake played host to a wonderful variety of other birds today, though.
16 Canada geese were on the lake first thing this morning, standing
resolutely on the ice or slipping and sliding their way along. Later in the
day two male red-winged blackbirds showed up in the cattail marsh and began
dueling calls. Interestingly enough, 2002's first red-winged blackbirds also
showed up on March 16.

Midafternoon the geese headed off and were soon replaced by about three
dozen mallards and one pair of northern pintails. This was the first time
(in the three years I've lived here) that I've seen pintails on the lake, so
I was happy to add them to my Glen Lake checklist as the 112th bird species.
Also had the year's first robin and two mourning doves in the yard
throughout the day.

Ah, it feels like spring!

Christine Petersen

--MS_Mac_OE_3130694947_88486_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [mou] Tundra Swans Hennepin Co</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 3/16/03 10:25 AM, George B Skinner at george.skinner@gte.net wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>&gt;<FONT SIZE=3D"2">Anne and I saw 25 or so Tundra Swans fly ove=
r our neighborhood in Minnetonka just west of &gt;Hopkins this morning at 9 =
am. They were headed west northwest.<BR>
</FONT><BR>
I'm right near you, George (we're on Glen Lake, near the intersection of 49=
4 and Excelsior), and am darned sorry to have missed that sight!<BR>
<BR>
Glen Lake played host to a wonderful variety of other birds today, though. =
16 Canada geese were on the lake first thing this morning, standing resolute=
ly on the ice or slipping and sliding their way along. Later in the day two =
male red-winged blackbirds showed up in the cattail marsh and began dueling =
calls. Interestingly enough, 2002's first red-winged blackbirds also showed =
up on March 16. <BR>
<BR>
Midafternoon the geese headed off and were soon replaced by about three doz=
en mallards and one pair of northern pintails. This was the first time (in t=
he three years I've lived here) that I've seen pintails on the lake, so I wa=
s happy to add them to my Glen Lake checklist as the 112th bird species. Als=
o had the year's first robin and two mourning doves in the yard throughout t=
he day. <BR>
<BR>
Ah, it feels like spring!<BR>
<BR>
Christine Petersen<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3130694947_88486_MIME_Part--