[mou] Ruddy duck

Jeff Dankert renohawk@hbci.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:18:55 -0600

One sleeping, male ruddy duck was seen at 8:20 a.m. Thursday on Lake
Winona. The bird looked transitional between winter and breeding
plumage. The body, cocked tail, white cheek patch and dark cap were
apparent, but its back and sides appeared to contain only partial
amounts of the rusty red breeding plumage.

It was my first ruddy of the season, and the last common duck migrant
remaining for me to see for the first time this spring along the river.

There were 16 red-breasted mergansers on the lake Wednesday, and they
were there again on Thursday.

Look for large numbers of bald eagles on the expansive ice remaining at
Weaver Bottoms north of Minneiska. There were dozens loitering and
scuffling over fish remains on Wednesday. Their food looked like large
carp that may have been caught and hauled onto the ice. This may become
a good gull spot once they arrive here in numbers.

Regards,
Jeff Dankert
908 Parks Ave Apt 158
Winona MN 55987-5330