[mou] LeConte's Sparrow - Freeborn County

Colin Gjervold tuffrasta@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 20:23:14 -0800 (PST)

While hiking today with my "special lady friend" at
Myre-Big Isle State Park in rural Albert Lea, I was
more than happy to discover a LECONTE'S SPARROW.

The bird was first flushed from a prairie area along
the Esker Trail, NW of the campground.  After the
typical short escape flight, it crash landed in the
grass.  I followed in quick pursuit, and I was able to
get good looks at the bird on the ground before I
flushed it again.

This is the earliest I have seen a LeConte's Sparrow
in spring migration in Minnesota.

Also of note was a very cooperative RED-SHOULDERED
HAWK, which was also found along the Esker Trail, this
time just NE of the campground.

Colin Gjervold
Eagan