[mou] Woodcock at Woodlake, Hennepin Co.

connyb connyb@mycidco.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:42:22

This afternoon while at Woodlake Nature Center, I was kneeling down in a brushy area watching 2 Fox Sparrows who were scratching up a storm in the leaves hopping up and down, when I heard a rustle in some dry leaves.  I watched and waited, and out walked an American Woodcock, I was so surprised.  To be so close in the daylight and watch this short legged, long billed, plump dark peachy underneath little bird waddle across my path was a thrill.  That big eye looked me over didn't seem concerned, and continued back deeper into the brush.  As much as I enjoy the vocalizations, and flight display in the dark, it was really fun to be able to observe it at such close range in the sunshine.

During my walk the warm weather brought out the Mourning Cloak, Question Mark, and Eastern Comma Butterflys, and a Brown Bat flew out over me in the parking lot.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com