[mou] help ID a whistle?

TeamVagrant@aol.com TeamVagrant@aol.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:41:03 EST

--part1_c8.35c7146c.2bb5022f_boundary

My father who lives north of Duluth about 45 miles (Brimson) has been hearing
a very distinct whistle.  It occurs mostly just after dark and early dawn.
It's a clear, loud and possibly slightly ascending whistle.  If not ascending
it is flat. Two or 3 in succession then nothing for a long while.  No waver
to the sound, nor is it raspy.  It's a medium range whistle, as if you or I
just puckered and blew, stopping the sound with our tongue.  The sound origin
is usually stationary, quite a few feet up in a tree, and once while the
perpetrator was on the move, crossing the field above Dad's head, at a pretty
good clip.
My only guess to him was a saw - whet, but it's actually closer to a great
crested flycatcher sound.  I'm stumped.
I can't seem to find it on my bird song CDs, So any help would be appreciated

Chris Elmgren
Gnesen township,
Duluth, St. Louis County

--part1_c8.35c7146c.2bb5022f_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">My father who lives north of Duluth about 45 miles (Br=
imson) has been hearing a very distinct whistle.&nbsp; It occurs mostly just=
 after dark and early dawn.<BR>
It's a clear, loud and possibly slightly ascending whistle.&nbsp; If not asc=
ending it is flat. Two or 3 in succession then nothing for a long while.&nbs=
p; No waver to the sound, nor is it raspy.&nbsp; It's a medium range whistle=
, as if you or I just puckered and blew, stopping the sound with our tongue.=
&nbsp; The sound origin is usually stationary, quite a few feet up in a tree=
, and once while the perpetrator was on the move, crossing the field above D=
ad's head, at a pretty good clip.<BR>
My only guess to him was a saw - whet, but it's actually closer to a great c=
rested flycatcher sound.&nbsp; I'm stumped.<BR>
I can't seem to find it on my bird song CDs, So any help would be appreciate=
d<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Chris Elmgren<BR>
Gnesen township,<BR>
Duluth, St. Louis County<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_c8.35c7146c.2bb5022f_boundary--