[mou] N. Mockingbird Bloomington, Hennepin Co.

Chris Mansfield bikebirder75@yahoo.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 10:08:34 -0700 (PDT)

This morning (May 1) between 7:45 and 8:30 AM I observed a Northern
Mockingbird at the Bass Ponds in Bloomington.  The bird was at the
second pond east of Hwy. 77.  There is an observation deck at this
pond, and the bird was in the small willow shrubs near the deck along
the gravel path.  The mocker was very skittish--I had to wait for 20
minutes after I first flushed it before it emerged again, and it
spooked at the slightest motion.

I did not see the bird again when I returned at 10:00 AM.

There was also a Sandhill Crane calling overhead at 9:00 AM; this is
the second time I've seen this species in the valley this spring.

Northern Mockingbird is not listed on my MN Valley NWR checklist; can
someone tell me if this is a first record for the refuge?

Chris Mansfield
Richfield, Hennepin Co.
(612) 243-1742
bikebirder75@yahoo.com