[mou] Warbler Waves at Woodlake, Hennepin Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Sun, 04 May 2003 11:18:25

This morning Leslie and I had good looks at a nice variety of birds at Woodlake Nature Center, in Richfield.  Our favorite was 2 Black-throated Green Warblers low in the trees both singing away constantly.  Each of them repeated a different version of song, and kept moving along the walking path.  There were good numbers of Nashville, along with Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Black-and-white, American Redstart, Northern Waterthrush, Palm, and Yellow-rumped Warblers.

There were more Blue-headed Vireo's, and a Warbling Vireo singing his heart out.  A Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak sat out in the open singing, and you could hear him calling in that chink note in different spots in the park.  We enjoyed a face off between 2 Male Baltimore Orioles that was a fun behavior study.  There were melodic whistles that lead us to the tree they were in.  We saw 2 males circle each other very closely, face to face and drop their voice into a call I'd never heard before.  One male was darker and richer colored than the other, and after much confrontation chatter, lunged and attacked.  He drove the other Oriole off to a tree farther away, then he started singing away again, very interesting!

Besides the tons of White-throated Sparrows, we enjoyed White-crowned, and Lincoln's Sparrows.  Sora's were singing, RC Kinglets still plentiful, Blue-gray Gnatcathers, and Chimney Swifts went overhead.  I'm glad that the storm held off long enough for us to get out and enjoy such a busy migration so vocal this morning.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com