[mou] Clark's Grebe, Cattle Egret, and others- W. MN

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Sun, 4 May 2003 19:22:12 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0189_01C31272.76AA4D70

This weekend Rick Hoyme and I birded Lac Qui Parle, Big Stone, Chippewa, =
Swift, and Traverse Counties.  The "best" birds were the Clark's Grebe =
among many Westerns at Thielke Lake and a Cattle Egret about one mile =
east of Hwy. 75 along Big Stone Cnty. Rd. 12. =20
Shorebirds were few and far between.  On Friday night, we stopped at =
Salt Lake in Lac Qui Parle County.  Here we found all of the expected =
waterfowl plus the following shorebirds: Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, =
Baird's Sandpiper, Dunlin, and American Golden-Plover.  There was also a =
mixed flock of geese, including many Canada, many Snow, a few =
Greater-white-fronted, and about 5 Ross's Geese.
Passerines were beginning to show up; we found a few species throughout =
the various parks, including: Yellow-rumped Warblers, Palm Warblers, a =
single Cape May Warbler, many Harris's Sparrows, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, =
Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and an Eastern Wood-Pewee.
At the Plover Prairie in Lac Qui Parle Co., we found a pair of Marbled =
Godwits at the east prairie.
We found Upland Sandpipers in Big Stone and Chippewa Counties.
We encountered a flock of American Golden-Plovers in Traverse County =
this morning. =20
We ran across Gray Partridge in both Big Stone and Traverse Counties.
Big Stone NWR had virtually no mudflats, as the water levels were still =
very high.
We looked for the pair of Eurasian Collared-Doves in Appleton, Swift Co. =
several times without success.
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County

------=_NextPart_000_0189_01C31272.76AA4D70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This weekend Rick Hoyme and I birded =
Lac Qui Parle,=20
Big Stone, Chippewa, Swift, and Traverse Counties.&nbsp; The "best" =
birds were=20
the Clark's Grebe among many Westerns&nbsp;at Thielke Lake and a Cattle =
Egret=20
about one mile east of Hwy. 75 along Big Stone Cnty. Rd. 12.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Shorebirds were few and far =
between.&nbsp; On=20
Friday night, we stopped at Salt Lake in Lac Qui Parle County.&nbsp; =
Here we=20
found all of the expected waterfowl plus the following shorebirds: =
Greater and=20
Lesser Yellowlegs, Baird's Sandpiper, Dunlin, and American =
Golden-Plover.&nbsp;=20
There was also a mixed flock of geese, including many Canada, many Snow, =
a few=20
Greater-white-fronted, and about 5 Ross's Geese.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Passerines were beginning to show up; =
we found a=20
few species throughout the various parks, including: Yellow-rumped =
Warblers,=20
Palm Warblers, a single Cape May Warbler, many Harris's Sparrows, =
Blue-gray=20
Gnatcatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and an Eastern =
Wood-Pewee.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At the Plover Prairie in Lac Qui Parle =
Co., we=20
found a pair of Marbled Godwits at the east prairie.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We found Upland Sandpipers in Big Stone =
and=20
Chippewa Counties.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We encountered&nbsp;a flock of American =

Golden-Plovers in Traverse County this morning.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We ran across Gray Partridge in both =
Big Stone and=20
Traverse Counties.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Big Stone NWR had virtually no =
mudflats, as the=20
water levels were still very high.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We looked for the pair of Eurasian =
Collared-Doves=20
in Appleton, Swift Co. several times without success.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver County</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0189_01C31272.76AA4D70--