[mou] update, burrowing owl

fredericksonr@willmar.k12.mn.us fredericksonr@willmar.k12.mn.us
Wed, 7 May 2003 09:47:43 -0600

The BUOW in Swift county was present yesterday evening.  The directions
posted previously are great IF you have a plat book.  I actually had to
stop and ask a farmer to look at his.  If you have a Delorme Atlas, or
standard map... go one mile west of the intersection of hwy 59 and co. rd
36.  This should put you at 60th St. and 190th Ave.  Now go 1/2 mi. north,
east side of road, n. side of approach.  The dirt mound (burrow) is heavy
black dirt and shows up easily.

There are NO barracades or anything to indicate traffic should slow down.
There are two metal poles with a small reflective top that have been placed
on either side of the burrow, but if you are near them you are too close.

The bird did not vocalize nor did we see a second bird.  It did fly about
20 yards east, unto the field but did not actively hunt while we were
there.  When a truck drove by on the road, it "hunkered down" to the ground.

The bird seems highly susceptible to human disturbance, given its location
and lack of preventative measures.

Randy Frederickson
Willmar