[mou] Red-necked phalaropes

Jeff Dankert renohawk@hbci.com
Sat, 17 May 2003 23:16:26 -0500

Dedrick Benz, Dave Williams and I found two RED-NECKED PHALAROPES
Saturday afternoon at the Lewiston Sewage Ponds. Of the three ponds, the
phalaropes were floating in the middle of the northwestern-most pond,
preening and feeding on the abundant midge hatch. They were lifers for
Williams and me.

Curiously, the Wilson's phalaropes that were there the past two weeks
were not seen Saturday.

Also at the ponds Saturday were seven duck species, seven other more
common shorebird species, and black terns.

Earlier in the day, I found one BELL'S VIREO at Prairie Island in
Winona. It confronted two yellow warblers flitting near a dogwood,
perched in the open briefly, let out one loud burst of its song, and
disappeared.

This is likely breeding habitat for this species, open shrub land, near
the zigzag jog in Prairie Island Road.

Regards,
Jeff Dankert
908 Parks Ave Apt 158