[mou] Black-throated Blues along Superior Hiking Trail

Michael Steffes steff001@tc.umn.edu
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:24:35 -0500

I heard 10 BTBs saturday, May 17  on the western slope and top of Moose Mtn
in Cook County.  This site and Tettegouche Park are clearly the places with
the largest numbers of this warbler. In both places one must hike to find
the birds; I had a six mile round-trip on saturday, starting at the Oberg
Mtn parking lot.  I had none at Oberg, but I did not climb Oberg.  I have
never been on this section so early, and this is clearly the most I have
heard so early in the season anywhere.  Also, many BTgreens, ovenbirds,
nashvilles.  Some blackburnians, parulas, RB grosbeaks.  Maybe one vireo,
no mournings, canadas, they are later.  Also, about 100 runners, happy,
pleasant and not interfering with my listening, but a large number of
people on the trail.  No other hikers.

Michael W. Steffes
phone: 612-624-8164
fax: 612-273-3489