[mou] FW: [ND-BIRDS] Kentucky Warbler

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru@wiktel.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 21:31:21 -0500

Maybe with the strong winds this is where some of the migration went!

Jeanie

-----Original Message-----
From: Birding Discussion List for North Dakota
[mailto:ND-BIRDS@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU] On Behalf Of Paul Konrad
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 9:11 PM
To: ND-BIRDS@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Kentucky Warbler

Wow, Wow, Wow!
I was excited to see a male Kentucky Warbler a couple feet from my bay
window about 7:15 this evening in Kulm (southeast LaMoure County).

I watched it for a some moments, then thought I should photograph it, so
grabbed my camera, tried to focus on the bird, but it was too close, and
it seemingly vanished a moment later, not to be seen again.

I knew this Southeast species would be a pretty rare sighting in North
Dakota, but have a better idea that it's rare after checking Clark's
bird records for Bismarck and finding that Kentucky Warblers are not
listed. I just talked with Corey, who acknowledged they are very rare
statewide.

There have been good numbers of common warblers in Kulm since Saturday
probably grounded due to rains and north winds.=20

I also enjoyed the first female and male Baltimore Oriole I've been able
to attract to feed on orange halves outside my office window today. And
sighted a male Krider's Red-tailed Hawk 2 miles south of Kulm (extreme
northwest Dickey County).=20

When you least expect it!  Paul=20