[mou] Pigeon Lake Rookery-Meeker county

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 21:11:53 -0500

I have been checking this rookery every other day for a week or so.  It is
interesting what is happening at this point.

Great Blue Heron-majority have hatched and many are visible over the top of
the nest rather easily so presume a week old or more.

Great Egret-few still nest building, most just sitting

Black-crowned Night Heron-three pair nest building

Cormorants-few have hatched but most appear to be just sitting on eggs

American White Pelican-many appear to be sitting on eggs but unable to count
at this time as all may not have eggs

RING-BILLED GULL-at least five appear to be sitting on eggs, a new nesting
location, a couple more appear to be nest building (on the ground)

This rookery is easily observed with a scope from the scenic overlook on
Highway 15, south of Dassel a few miles.  I tried to count nests today and
was unable to do so.  Literally hundreds of all the species combined.  There
are even over a hundred on the second island behind to main island.

Dennis Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com