[mou] Rock County - Blue Grosbeaks & Western Tanagers

Patrick Clements pclements@civilactiongroup.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 09:11:36 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C32459.E28B11C0

Date: 5-25-03
County: Rock
Location: Blue Mound State Park
Observers: Pat Clements & Don Carroll

Notes: Four years of looking at Blue Mound for Blue Grosbeaks finally paid
off this Sunday. We were on the Cliff Over-look trail to the right of the
now closed Interpretive Center. Don spotted two birds flying overhead and
briefly saw a brown female bird, but could not ID it or see much of it's
companion. They flew off and I relocated them both in a Oak tree. This is
what we saw: The female was very chunky with a large bill and head (both
birds were about the size of a Brown-headed Cow bird, which were seen there)
and the male was blue with brown wing-bars, large beak and a black wedge on
the front of his face. Neither was calling and we followed them both until
we ran out of walk able ground near the cliff. The general area of the
Interpretive Center is where we have always heard they have been seen and
where we have always looked. Also found was a Indigo Bunting, and there is
no comparison between the two. Size wise, the Indigo Bunting is much more
svelte compared to the Blue Grosbeak.

Also seen on Saturday in a blooming Dogwood tree I found a pair of Western
Tanagers. This tree is off the right side of the road that goes by the
Buffalo fields and is on the way to the beech area.

Of note were about 4-6 Orchard Oriole's which were seen in various parts of
the park.

Pat Clements

------_=_NextPart_001_01C32459.E28B11C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Rock County - Blue Grosbeaks &amp; Western Tanagers</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Date: 5-25-03&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">County: Rock</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Location: Blue Mound State =
Park</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Observers: Pat Clements &amp; Don =
Carroll</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Notes: Four years of looking at Blue =
[...]
Bunting is much more svelte compared to the Blue Grosbeak.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Also seen on Saturday in a blooming =
Dogwood tree I found a pair of Western Tanagers. This tree is off the =
right side of the road that goes by the Buffalo fields and is on the =
way to the beech area.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Of note were about 4-6 Orchard =
Oriole's which were seen in various parts of the park.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Pat Clements</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C32459.E28B11C0--