[mou] Red Knots still at Lewiston, Winona Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 15:37:46

This morning Leslie Marcus and I went to the Lewiston Sewage Ponds in Winona Co, and saw the 2 Red Knots reported from 11-11:45.  The gates were unlocked and open, and the birds were still in the ponds on the right walking and feeding along the muddy edges not that far from the road.  We walked in and set up scopes and got excellent close and clear looks which was well worth the 230 mile round trip all by itself.

They were next to 2 Wilson's Phalaropes, and got up and flew a couple of times allowing us looks at the wing and tail pattern, but did not vocalize.  There were 20 or so Dunlins on the other side of the pond, and Semipalmated and Spotted Sandpipers moving around.  Thanks John Hockema for getting the word out quickly, this was the closest I've ever seen them in Minnesota!

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com