[mou] Northern Shrike: Morgan Park (Duluth)

Jim Barrett jwbarrett10@msn.com
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:56:36 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C3A486.F0B25DA0

A Northern Shrike was on the roof of my mudroom when I returned home at =
4:15 today (Thursday). =20

It flew to a tree in my front yard and remained perched there for 25 =
minutes, while I watched it from 30 feet away (I saw lots of detail, =
through the spotting scope,  that I've never seen in less controlled =
situations).  The shrike had fresh blood in front of it's left leg, as =
well as on its throat feathers (probably one of my feeder birds).=20

As I watched it, a flock of Snow Buntings flew right down the middle of =
86th Ave. W, just above the pavement. =20

Finally, as a side note  to today's Duluth RBA, Dave Benson commented on =
the numerous sightings of Red-bellied Woodpeckers around the area.  I've =
had to  be away from Duluth frequently the past few weeks but,  whenever =
I'm here,  the RBWO I reported in my yard a few weeks ago continues to =
make frequent, daily visits to my window feeder.=20

Jim Barrett
Duluth
------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C3A486.F0B25DA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A Northern Shrike was on the roof of my =
mudroom=20
when I returned home at 4:15 today (Thursday).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It flew to a tree in my front yard and =
remained=20
perched there for 25 minutes, while I watched it from 30 feet away (I =
saw lots=20
of detail, through the spotting scope, &nbsp;that I've never seen in =
less=20
controlled situations).&nbsp; The shrike had fresh blood in front of =
it's left=20
leg, as well as on its throat feathers (probably one of my feeder=20
birds).&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I watched it, a flock of Snow =
Buntings flew=20
right down the middle of 86th&nbsp;Ave. W, just above the =
pavement.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Finally, as a side note  to today's =
Duluth RBA,=20
Dave Benson commented on the&nbsp;numerous sightings of Red-bellied =
Woodpeckers=20
around the area.&nbsp; I've had to&nbsp; be away from Duluth frequently =
the past=20
few weeks but, &nbsp;whenever I'm here, &nbsp;the RBWO I reported in my =
yard a=20
few weeks ago continues to make frequent, daily visits to my window=20
feeder.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jim Barrett</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Duluth</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C3A486.F0B25DA0--