[mou] Moving to Minnesota, Questions

AL al@ccands.com
Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:43:16 -0600

My name is Al Schirmacher, and I will be starting a pastorate in Princeton,
MN on 12/1.  I'm currently based in Madison, WI, and have been birding the
southern & central WI area for 10 years.

Generally I bird a one hour radius of my location 100-150 times annually
(many of these local walks, since Madison has four lakes & 200 parks), with
scattered longer trips - including Horicon Marsh, the Milwaukee lakefront,
Baxter's Hollow and Wyalusing (latter two havens for more southern birds
like Kentucky, Worm-eating, Yellow-throated Warblers and
related).  Normally I see 245-265 species annually.

What should I expect within a one hour radius or so of Princeton (located
45-50 minutes north of the Twin Cities on 169)?  Are there areas I should
concentrate on?  What spots are worth traveling over an hour for (eg, see
frequent Duluth posts)?  Is there likely to be a higher concentration of
winter specialties (redpolls, crossbills, grosbeaks, northern owls and the
like - rarely seen here) and a lower concentration of migrating warblers
(normally see 34 a season)?  How are the CBC numbers (spoiled here, Madison
averages 85-95 species, my last route had 42 in 2002 - 45 minutes north of
Madison)?  What MOU trips are not to be missed?

Thanks!

Al Schirmacher
Madison, WI
Princeton, MN