[mou] Ramsey County

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:27:25 EST

I dashed out of work to scan Lake Phalen for too few minutes.  I was rewarded
with 60 Common Goldeneyes near the southern shore.  The males were even doing
a little neck snapping - after all, there were ladies present.  A male
Northern Pintail swam away from the giddy goldeneyes, while a lonely female pintail
went her own way.  Also present were Pied-billed Grebes, Gadwalls, and lots of
gulls (mostly, if not all, Ring-billed).
I know the northern end attracts waterfowl, but I didn't have time to check
it out.  My vantage point was by the south parking area, north of Maryland Av.
on Johnson Parkway.  Take the 1st right (Shore Av. or something like that) and
the lot is right there.   Lake Phalen is east of 35E.

Linda Sparling
Hennepin County