[mou] any Mexican bird experts out there?

Wildchough@aol.com Wildchough@aol.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:28:43 EST

--part1_f3.327c3b13.2ce597db_boundary

Ok folks. Try IDing the bird (large yellowish colored grosbeak with a flock
of Evening Grosbeaks) on p. 8 of the latest issue (Nov-Dec) of the Minnesota
Conservation Volunteer.  One writer states that it looks like a goldfinch on
steroids and states that the unusual coloring is a recessive trait.  I'm not so
sure.  This bird fits the description of Yellow Grosbeak quite well.  The wings
strongly resemble YEGR, the head looks massive despite being farther back in
the photo (taken at a Cloquet, MN feeder), the yellow fits perfectly, the
darkness behind the eye fits a female YEGR, the bill seems more massive than an
Evening Grosbeak, and I think I detect a tinge of red in the plumage which fits
YEGR.  Alas the bill seems light-colored and doesn't fit the field guides but
maybe an immature?  There is an Iowa record which I think had the ID accepted
but origin questioned.  Any thoughts out there?  Bob Russell, Dakota County

--part1_f3.327c3b13.2ce597db_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Ok folks. Try IDing the bird (large yellowish colored=20=
grosbeak with a flock of Evening Grosbeaks) on p. 8 of the latest issue (Nov=
-Dec) of the Minnesota Conservation Volunteer.&nbsp; One writer states that=20=
it looks like a goldfinch on steroids and states that the unusual coloring i=
s a recessive trait.&nbsp; I'm not so sure.&nbsp; This bird fits the descrip=
tion of Yellow Grosbeak quite well.&nbsp; The wings strongly resemble YEGR,=20=
the head looks massive despite being farther back in the photo (taken at a C=
loquet, MN feeder), the yellow fits perfectly, the darkness behind the eye f=
its a female YEGR, the bill seems more massive than an Evening Grosbeak, and=
 I think I detect a tinge of red in the plumage which fits YEGR.&nbsp; Alas=20=
the bill seems light-colored and doesn't fit the field guides but maybe an i=
mmature?&nbsp; There is an Iowa record which I think had the ID accepted but=
 origin questioned.&nbsp; Any thoughts out there?&nbsp; Bob Russell, Dakota=20=
County</FONT></HTML>

--part1_f3.327c3b13.2ce597db_boundary--