[mou] Black-legged Kittiwake at Superior Entry

Laura Erickson lauraerickson@abac.com
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:01:53 -0500

Today when I was at the end of Wisconsin Point about 11:00 am I saw an adult Black-legged Kittiwake flying with a large group of gulls at the Superior Entry--it was on the breakwater on the Minnesota side of the shipping lane, and was flushed with all the other gulls by a Bald Eagle, flying briefly over to the Wisconsin side before returning to the far breakwater.

Two Bonaparte's Gulls flew past right over the channel and on to Park Point, but though I searched closely, I couldn't find a Sabine's anywhere.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Journey North Science Writer
<http://learner.org/jnorth/current.html>

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                --Rachel Carson