[mou] Acacia Cemetery area (Dakota County) endagered by development

Bruce M. White white067@tc.umn.edu
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:58:05 -0600

Randy Frederickson:
Thank you for your concern. It is not to late to submit comment to the
city of Mendota Heights about the proposed housing development on Pilot
Knob. I've compiled a summary of information about birding on Pilot Knob
that might be of help for you and others in writing to the City of
Mendota Heights about the proposed housing development. Included here
are excerpts from web postings as well as passages from two e-mails sent
to the City of Mendota Heights by birders. We really appreciate their
contributions and hope that others will write.

Comments have to get to the City of Mendota Heights by tomorrow, Oct.
29, at 4:30 PM. E-mails and faxes are OK and given the short time are
the best way to go. Comments should be addressed to Cari Lindberg, City
Administrator, City of Mendota Heights, 1101 Victoria Curve, Mendota
Heights, MN 55118, 651-452-1850 Fax 651-452-8940. E-mails can be sent to
caril@mendota-heights.com.

As noted earlier, the proposal before the city of Mendota Heights is to
build 157 units of medium and high density townhomes in the 25 acres
north and east of the cemetery, an area now covered with woods and open
fields. We think that the effect will be devastating on many facets of
Pilot Knob's importance, historic, sacred, and natural. Our short-term
goal is to get the City of Mendota Heights to order an Environmental
Impact Statement, to examine the effects of the development and consider
whether any mitigation for effects is possible. Our long-term goal is to
stop the project entirely and insure that this area continues to be
compatible with history, spirituality, and birds.

Bruce M. White
Pilot Knob Preservation Association
P.O. Box 50823
Mendota, MN 55150-0823
651-310-0601
white067@tc.umn.edu

fredericksonr@willmar.k12.mn.us wrote:
> Bruce-
>
> I'm merely trying to be of assistance.  I get most frustrated by all the
> birders that have been to this area (it is lots) but they are all too busy
> to help preserve this spot.
>
> Randy

Pilot Knob as a birding area

Acacia Cemetery in its most recent advertising leaflet states: “The
Audubon Society recognized Acacia Park for its bird sanctuary which
attracts thousands of birds each year, including bright red Cardinals
who are especially splendid against the white and evergreen blanket of
winter. The cemetery is also home to deer, wild turkeys, fox, and albino
squirrels.”

Comment letters from birders to Mendota Heights City Council

Rev. Forest Strnad of Faribault (fkstrnad@ll.net), Faribaut, MN:
“I have a personal concern about the Acacia Cemetery area for it is an
important place to see unusual, even rare, birds in Minnesota. I
personally have seen the TOWNSEND SOLITAIRE, ROCK WREN, and
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERS here. Also many other unusual birds are seen in
this area. I would hope that this area might be protected from
development by business or housing. It is important that we remember the
importance of wild and natural areas and preserve them for future
generations.”

Dr. Matthew Bribitzer-Stull, Asst. Professor of Musical Theory,
University of Minnesota (mpbs@umn.edu): “As an avid birder I am worried
that one of the Twin Cities’ best spots for seeing rare and interesting
birds during migration will be compromised. While research has focused
on the dangers to birds posed by destruction of their breeding and
wintering grounds, healthy “stop-over” points are equally critical to
the survival of many species. The effect of the proposed development has
not been considered by the developer and it is my feeling that a full
Environmental Impact Statement or EIS should be done to examine such
effects.”

Rock Wren in Acacia Cemetery, April-May 2003