[mou] Why isn't anyone getting excited about the Whooper Swan?

M. Thomas Auer t_auer@lycos.com
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:54:19 -0500

I've been reading the posts on MNbirds about the Whooper Swan being seen in Hutchinson. Is there a reason that nobody is getting excited about this quite rare species? Is it a possible escapee that noone cares about?

Most recent message from MN birds:

Subject: Whooper Swan
From: "Robert Schroeder" <brder AT hutchtel.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:17:39 -0500

A Whooper Swan was found by Pete Hoeger Saturday in Hutchinson on Campbell
Lake. It was relocated by Pete Sunday at the same location.

Today I relocated it at the Gopher Campfire Club Wildlife Sanctuary in
Hutchinson. I watched the bird with binoculars and scope at a distance of about
50 feet. When it walked out on the shore I saw no bands on the legs or any
other markings.

I checked with the Gopher Campfire Club and was informed that they have not
brought in any swans since bringing in the two Mute Swans several years ago.

The first location where it was seen is 0.8 mile west of the stoplight at the
intersection of hwy. 7 and School Road. You can park in the parking lot of
Reiner Landscaping on hwy 7 and walk east along the Luce Line Trail to get a
clear look at the area where it was first seen.

The Gopher Campfire Club Wildlife Sanctuary can be found by going east of the
same stoplights to the Cenex station, where they sell birdfeed, and turn south
on Les Kouba Parkway. Following the Parkway 0.6 mile will bring you to the
sanctuary.

If you need some help finding this bird or any other bird in the area you can
give me a call at 320-587-5321.

Bob Schroeder

----

Tom Auer

FREE ADHD DVD or CD-Rom (your choice) - click here!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda2.com/1/c/563632/131726/311392/311392
AOL users go here: http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda2.com/1/c/563632/131726/311392/311392
This offer applies to U.S. Residents Only