[mou] good backyard birding project

Andrew Longtin alongtin@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:15:48 -0600

Been doing it for longer than I been in MOU..

I have the last 5 years of my data on my WEB pages..
http://home.att.net/~alongtin/Bird_Pictures/andrews_birding_pages_index.htm

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu]On
Behalf Of Jim Williams
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 2:29 PM
To: MOU-net
Subject: [mou] good backyard birding project

Announcement from Cornell LAb of Ornithology - in case some Minnesota
birders might be interested. This is bird science accessible to us all.

Jim Williams, Wayzata

BIRD WATCHERS NEEDED FOR PROJECT FEEDERWATCH

In the next few months large numbers of redpolls, crossbills, grosbeaks,
nuthatches and siskins are predicted to move south into the lower 48 states.
Will the predicted movements occur, and will these nomads of the bird world
visit your feeders this winter? You can help scientists learn more about
these species and other winter bird populations by joining more than 16,000
people from across the United States and Canada in counting birds for
Project FeederWatch.

If you are already a Project FeederWatch participant, thank you for
contributing to the success of the project! If you are not a FeederWatcher,
please read on Š

Last February, the data you collected for the Great Backyard Bird Count
(GBBC) provided scientists with a "snapshot" view of bird abundance and
distribution. Throughout last winter, Project FeederWatch was gathering
information to provide a more comprehensive view of backyard bird
populations. Like the GBBC, FeederWatch counts are submitted to scientists
who use the data to examine trends in bird populations. Participants count
the birds at their feeders as often as every week from November through
early April. Participants then submit counts either on paper forms or over
the Internet. We invite you to contribute to our understanding of winter
bird populations by joining your fellow bird watchers in Project
FeederWatch.

WHY IS FEEDERWATCH IMPORTANT? FeederWatch data provide a detailed picture of
weekly changes in the distribution and abundance of birds across the
continent. Long-term monitoring programs, such as FeederWatch, are important
for identifying changes in bird populations and for targeting research and
conservation efforts. FeederWatch data are currently being analyzed to gauge
the impact of West Nile virus on wild birds. Please help monitor the health
of winter bird populations by joining us in the 17th season of Project
FeederWatch. Learn more about the project at <www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw,
where you can see maps, trend graphs, and other results generated from
FeederWatch data.

WHAT DO I RECEIVE FOR PARTICIPATING? FeederWatchers receive a Research Kit
that includes: * the FeederWatch Handbook, our guide to feeding birds; * a
full-color identification poster of common feeder birds (both Eastern and
Western, painted by renowned artist Larry McQueen); * a 14-month calendar
featuring photographs taken by FeederWatch participants last season; *
instructions on how to participate; and * paper data forms and/or access to
our online data entry system. In addition, participants receive a
subscription to the newsletter of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology (U.S.) or
Bird Studies Canada (Canada).

HOW DO I JOIN? There is a $15 annual participation fee ($12 for members of
the Lab of Ornithology, CAN$25 for Canadian participants) that covers your
materials and newsletter subscription, staff support, web site support, and
data analysis. If you are currently participating in FeederWatch, thank you!
Please do not renew your participation until we send you a renewal notice.

U.S. Residents: 1. Visit <http://birds.cornell.edu/pfw and sign up over our
secure server. OR 2. Call (800) 843-2473 (BIRD) OR 3. Send a check made
payable to Project FeederWatch to: Project FeederWatch / GBBC P.O. Box 11
Ithaca, New York 14851-0011

Project FeederWatch is a joint research and education project of the Cornell
Lab of Ornithology, Bird Studies Canada, Audubon, and the Canadian Nature
Federation.

Thank you and Good Birding,

David Bonter Leader, Project FeederWatch (U.S.)

Project FeederWatch 159 Sapsucker Woods Rd., Ithaca, NY 14850 (607) 254-2427
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw