[mou] Albinistic Yellowlegs

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:25:56 -0500

Forgot to mention this very strange bird.  We can't remember ever seeing a
shorebird with any large amount of albinism so this bird was really a
shocker.  For all intensive purposes this bird was completely white with
just a little very light gray shading over the tops of the tertials and
coverts.  The legs were normal bright yellow but probably seemed yellower
because of the white contrast.  The eye appeared to be dark although we were
not able to get very close to be sure of that.

It was feeding normally with a flock of Lesser Yellowlegs and Pectoral
Sandpipers that allowed for ample comparison and confirmation of identity.
>From Clinton in Big Stone County go west 4 miles to County Road 61.  Then go
north about 1.3 miles.  The bird was in the north east quadrant of the
rather extensive wet area.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com