[mou] conservation- Acacia/Pilot Knob Development Proposal

Tom Tustison tomtustison@hotmail.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:10:34 +0000

Randy,

I am very interested in the preservation of this area.  I used to live near
the cemetery.  I have birded extensively here for the past 22 years and have
records of this spot and surrounding adjacent areas regarding bird
populations.  I have seen the decline over the years and reduction in bird
species. This is really too bad for Acacia.  There are plenty of other
suitable sites in Eagan to put up housing developments with less
environmental impact.

For example, I believe this is the only documented site for breeding
Yellow-throated Warblers in the state.  It is, except for the airport noise,
one of the prettiest spots in the Twin Cities.  There are many records of
rarities over the last twenty years.  To name a few -- Rock Wren, Townsend's
Solitaire, Red Crossbill, (previous attempted nesting), White-winged
Crossbill, Long-eared, Screech. and Saw-whet Owls, and Magnificent
Frigatebird.  This is also a great spot to observe all types of migration
through the river valley including hawks, waterfowl, and passerines.

I hope that something can be done to preserve what is left.

Tom Tustison

cc: MOU-Net