[mou] WI Pt. Birding

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:13:01 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C3860D.AE80CF80

Today at WI Pt. as you all know was exciting. The morning started out =
seeing a long distance juvenil Sabine's Gull flying over the water =
giving me short second views of the unique pattern of the mantle which =
stood out as the light hit the mantle.=20

A short time later as I was scanning the entry way a large bird with a =
dark brown mantle soared into view in a split second. I thought =
instantly a juvenil Common Loon and then the bird banked briefly showing =
me the under side as it turned to go over the Minn breakwall exposing a =
rather thick and blotchy breast band. I then said OOPS a jaeger! I =
called the WSO birders on the radio and they all rushed out to look for =
it.

The jaeger appeared again and Darryl Tessen and I noted the rather large =
and bulky size as it soared over the break wall causing a expolsion of =
gulls to leave the break wall on the WI side. We lost the jaeger briefly =
in the mass of gulls and we watched it fly away from us. I noted the =
heavy flight and shallow wing beats. I briefly saw the tail as it was =
very broad and showed no noticable central tail projections. The jaeger =
then harrassed a Herring Gull and all of us notced it was almost the =
same size of the gull but slightly smaller. The fight wasn't as quick =
and flighty as I seen with Parasitic Jaegers. What I also jotted down =
about this jaeger was the wing were broad at the base and not as stream =
line peregrinish as Parasitic Jaegers.

Anyway I felt 90% I was seeing a Pomarine Jaeger. There were a few other =
field marks that time didn't allow me to see with this jaeger that I =
would love to see to feel 100% certain.

Another jaeger showed up about a hour later that was seen both in WI and =
Minn waters. This was a definite Parasitic Jaeger and this bird to me =
wasn't the same bird. Both jaegers were light morph adults. This jaeger =
put on a good show as it chased down Herring Gulls with reckless =
pursuit. The other Jaeger was much more bulkier and slowed in flight. Oh =
well..

I saw a Harlequin Duck as it zipped thru the Superior entry. It was =
associated with a male and female Greater Scaup.

Other birds seen at WI/Mn=20

Long-billed Dowitcher
Golden Plovers
Sanderling
Am Pipits
L. Longspurs

Birds in Knife River:

Peregrine Falcon
Nashville Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Harris Sparrow=20

Mike Hendrickson
Tom Auer
------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C3860D.AE80CF80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today at WI Pt. as you all know was =
exciting. The=20
morning started out seeing a long distance juvenil Sabine's Gull flying =
over the=20
water giving me short second views of the unique pattern of the mantle =
which=20
stood out as the light hit the mantle. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A short time later as I was scanning =
the entry way=20
a large bird with a dark brown mantle soared into view in a split =
second. I=20
thought instantly a juvenil Common Loon and then the bird banked briefly =
showing=20
me the under side as it turned to go over the Minn breakwall exposing a =
rather=20
thick and blotchy breast band. I then said OOPS a jaeger! I called the =
WSO=20
birders on the radio and they all rushed out to look for =
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The jaeger appeared again and Darryl =
Tessen and I=20
noted the rather large and bulky size as it soared over the break wall =
causing a=20
expolsion of gulls to leave the break wall on the WI side. We lost the =
jaeger=20
briefly in the mass of gulls and we watched it fly away from us. I noted =
the=20
heavy flight and shallow wing beats. I briefly saw the tail as it was =
very broad=20
and showed no noticable central tail projections. The jaeger then =
harrassed a=20
Herring Gull and all of us notced it was almost the same size of the =
gull but=20
slightly smaller. The fight wasn't as quick and flighty as I seen with =
Parasitic=20
Jaegers. What I also jotted down about this jaeger was the wing were =
broad at=20
the base and not as stream line peregrinish as Parasitic =
Jaegers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway I felt 90% I was seeing a =
Pomarine Jaeger.=20
There were a few other field marks that time didn't allow me to see with =
this=20
jaeger that I would love to see to feel 100% certain.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Another jaeger showed up about a hour =
later that=20
was seen both in WI and Minn waters. This was a definite Parasitic =
Jaeger and=20
this bird to me wasn't the same bird. Both jaegers were light morph =
adults. This=20
jaeger put on a good show as it chased down Herring Gulls with reckless =
pursuit.=20
The other Jaeger was much more bulkier and slowed in flight. Oh=20
well..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I saw a Harlequin Duck as it zipped =
thru the=20
Superior entry. It was associated with a male and female Greater=20
Scaup.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Other birds seen at WI/Mn </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Long-billed Dowitcher</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Golden Plovers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sanderling</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Am Pipits</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>L. Longspurs</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Birds in Knife River:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Peregrine Falcon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Nashville Warbler</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Blackpoll Warbler</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cape May Warbler</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Harris Sparrow </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom Auer</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C3860D.AE80CF80--