[mou] MOU Montevideo

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 00:15:50 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C41AA3.26ACD970

I woke up Saturday morning and went outside to see what the weather was =
like. The winds were gusting mighty strong from the NW and the temps =
were cool.

I met 20 birders in Montevideo at the Country Kitchen parking lot. We =
greeted each other, we formed some car pooling and a caravan, I handed =
out some state checklists to the particapants and off we went in the =
blustery cold day in the prairie.

We mainly birded Saturday in Lac Qui Parle County and we hit all the =
usual places and we ended our day in Milan in Big Stone County. We ate a =
tailgate lunch at Salt Lake in the 20-30 mph winds and we soon birded =
our way up to the river and down the river to the town of Milan. We =
ended our day, Saturday around 5:30pm.

Saturday night we met at Goodfellows restaurant where we ate and laughed =
and watched the NCAA basketball game. Yes its a good way to end the day =
with Duke losing a nail biter.

Sunday we birded Big Stone County and ended the day around 1:00pm. =
Sunday was a weird day. I get a call from my wife who was in Arlington, =
Texas t otel lme she is going to the hospital and it was hard to =
concentrate on birds with not knowing how my wife was. The good news was =
after I said goodbyes to everyone, my wife called to tell me she is =
feeling better and will be taking the flight back home. As I write this =
email she is sleeping and all is good!

We saw 75 species of birds for the two days we explored this area of =
Minnesota.=20

The good stuff:

3 Grebe species including Western Grebes at Thielke Lake in Big stone Co =
and Red-necked Grebe as well.

3 Geese species
*Ross's Goose was spotted by a small few in very large mix flock of =
White-fronteds and Snows.=20

18 species of waterfowl all in good numbers

4 species of raptors including a beautiful Krider's Red-tailed Hawk.

Tons of Pheasants. EVERYWHERE!!

3 species of gulls including Bonaparte's and Herring Gull.

Good migrants:
E. Phoebe, Barn Swallow (Friday while scouting), both kinglets, =
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1), Fox Sparrows (a lot), Yellow-headed =
Blackbird.

BEST BIRD:

Eurasian Collared Doves: We explored Milan on Saturday and found two =
birds at the grain elevators along Hwy. 75. They flew across the highway =
near some houses near the American Legion Hall. We talked to a resident =
who had them all winter. These are most likely part of the same group =
the Martin's had on Sunday. It was a nice find and lifers for many on =
the trip.

**A visit to place that holds many good memories**

When I got to Lac Qui Parle Co. I had to see and visit a place I haven't =
seen in a long time! When I got there I had a tear in my eye. I looked =
at the house from the road and how it looked so lonely and weather =
beaten. The barns were barely standing and the yard was over grown with =
brush and grass. Oh how I remember all the park cars and tents erected =
in the yard and people walking about. This place was the Buer's farm. =
It's a very special place for me. Its where I met so many people and =
friends. A time when we were like a huge family that all had one thing =
in common and that was birding. Times are different now and its sad. The =
entrance has a gate in front of it and its locked up. I took a lot of =
pictures of the Buer's Farm. The "family" is no longer together and some =
of us see each other time to time and some like Leata Pearson past away =
many years ago. I think the last time I was here I brought Leata here in =
her van when she could barely see.  OH the memories of seeing a Say's =
Phoebe that Paul Egeland found while many of us were still eating =
breakfast. I could go on and on about the memories here and maybe those =
that read this can think of the time I called the "good ol days".

PS: If you want a jpg of the Buer farm sent to you let me know.

Mike Hendrickson
MOU Field Trip Chairman
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C41AA3.26ACD970

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I woke up Saturday morning and went =
outside to see=20
what the weather was like. The winds were gusting mighty strong from the =
NW and=20
the temps were cool.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I met 20 birders in Montevideo at the =
Country=20
Kitchen parking lot. We greeted each other, we formed some car pooling =
and a=20
caravan, I handed out some state checklists to the particapants and off =
we went=20
in the blustery cold day in the prairie.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We mainly birded Saturday in Lac Qui =
Parle County=20
and we hit all the usual places and we ended our day in Milan in Big =
Stone=20
County. We ate a tailgate lunch at Salt Lake in the 20-30 mph winds and =
we soon=20
birded our way up to the river and down the river to the town of Milan. =
We ended=20
our day, Saturday around 5:30pm.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Saturday night we met at Goodfellows =
restaurant=20
where we ate and laughed and watched the NCAA basketball game. Yes its a =
good=20
way to end the day with Duke losing a nail biter.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sunday we birded Big Stone County and =
ended the day=20
around 1:00pm. Sunday was a weird day. I get a call from my wife who was =
in=20
Arlington, Texas t otel lme she is going to the hospital and it was hard =
to=20
concentrate on birds with not knowing how my wife was. The good news was =
after I=20
said goodbyes&nbsp;to everyone,&nbsp;my wife called to tell me she is =
feeling=20
better and will be taking the flight back home. As I write this =
email&nbsp;she=20
is sleeping and all is good!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We saw 75 species of birds for the two =
days we=20
explored this area of Minnesota. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The good stuff:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3 Grebe species including Western =
Grebes at Thielke=20
Lake in Big stone Co and Red-necked Grebe as well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3 Geese species</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>*Ross's Goose was spotted by a small =
few in very=20
large mix flock of White-fronteds and Snows. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>18 species of waterfowl all in good=20
numbers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4 species of raptors including a =
beautiful Krider's=20
Red-tailed Hawk.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tons of Pheasants. =
EVERYWHERE!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3 species of gulls including =
Bonaparte's and=20
Herring Gull.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good migrants:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>E. Phoebe, Barn Swallow (Friday while =
scouting),=20
both kinglets, Yellow-rumped Warbler (1), Fox Sparrows (a lot), =
Yellow-headed=20
Blackbird.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>BEST BIRD:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Eurasian Collared Doves: We explored =
Milan on=20
Saturday and found two birds at the grain elevators along Hwy. 75. They =
flew=20
across the highway near some houses near the American Legion Hall. We =
talked to=20
a resident who had them all winter. These are most likely part of the =
same group=20
the Martin's had on Sunday. It was a nice find and lifers for many on =
the=20
trip.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>**A visit to place that holds many good =

memories**</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When I got to Lac Qui Parle Co. I had =
to see and=20
visit a place I haven't seen in a long time! When I got there I had a =
tear in my=20
eye. I looked at the house from the road and how it looked=20
so&nbsp;lonely&nbsp;and weather beaten. The barns were barely standing =
and the=20
yard was over grown with brush and grass. Oh how I remember all the park =
cars=20
and tents erected in the yard and people walking about. This place was =
the=20
Buer's farm. It's a very special place for me. Its where I met so many =
people=20
and friends. A time when we were like a huge family that all had one =
thing in=20
common and that was birding. Times are different now and its sad. The =
entrance=20
has a gate in front of it and its locked up. I took a lot of pictures of =
the=20
Buer's Farm. The "family" is no longer together and some of us see each =
other=20
time to time and some like Leata Pearson past away many years ago. I =
think the=20
last time I was here I brought Leata here in her van when she could =
barely see.=20
&nbsp;OH the memories of seeing a Say's Phoebe that Paul Egeland=20
found&nbsp;while many of us were still&nbsp;eating breakfast. I could go =
on and=20
on about the memories here and maybe those that read this can think of =
the time=20
I called the "good ol days".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>PS: If you want a jpg of the Buer farm =
sent to you=20
let me know.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>MOU Field Trip =
Chairman</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C41AA3.26ACD970--