[mou] High Count-Cranes

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:01:22 -0500

We had a very high count of 1490 Sandhill Cranes in Norman County today.
The birds were along a 1 mile stretch just to the north and west of the
Agassiz-Olson WMA and flood control area.  This is one mile south of the
Polk County line and about two to three miles west of County Road 30.  To
the south of the area the skies were clear and it was a nice looking day.
To the north from this area it looked cloudy and maybe didn't inspire
migration.  We watched several flocks of birds coming up from the south and
land to join the other birds that were already present when we got there.
We left the area about 2:00 PM and saw a couple of flocks of birds still
heading north to that same area.

Other birds on interest in the past couple of days included Trumpeter Swan
pairs in northern Crow Wing County at the Duck Lake WMA and two pairs at the
Mud-Goose WMA in northern Cass County.  (Between which one of us went
through some thin ice into 4 feet of very cold water and had to change
clothes in a very cold manner.)

Amazing was watching 3 Tree Swallows go flying by us early Monday morning at
the Knutson Dam on Cass lake in Beltrami County and take off over the ice
continuing their migration up the Mississippi River.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com