[mou] whooping cranes- Meeker co.

Bob Ekblad ekblad@millcomm.com
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:47:53 -0500

The bird that was by Rice Lake State Park (seen in both Dodge and Steele
Counties) had similar leg banding.  I didn't record the color
combinations but I do remember the three/two combination.  The bird also
had a couple of long colored streamers attached in the upper wing area
that stood out like a sore thumb (dressed to go dancing I guess).  With
the information Randy noted on the leg bands, hopefully the people in
Wisconsin will be able to tell if the birds came from their flock or not.

PS - Diane, Chuck Krulas and I were in the brown (actually gold, but as
usual, dusty brown) Tahoe across the bay from Dave Cahlander at the
(former) location of the Brown Pelican.  We checked out several of the
other local lakes and found quite a few American White Pelicans
including a good size flock circling to gain altitude - but no brown.
By the time we got home there were already a couple of posts regarding
the pelican.  I hope someone will be able to re-find the bird somewhere
further north - i.e., Bigstone, etc., where it undoubtedly was headed
(possibly even Chase Lake in ND).