[mou] Re: Pelican that is brown

Anthony X. Hertzel axhertzel@sihope.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:36:04 -0500

--============_-1129737126==_ma============

This is an American White Pelican that for some reason or another
apparently has had its feathers oiled or stained.

------------

I did some "back-or-the-envelope" calculations about this bird.
Notice that it appears smaller than the bird to its right.  The Brown
Pelican should be smaller than the American White Pelican.  Sibley
indicates sizes of

     Brown Pelican                   51 inches
     American White Pelican    62 inches

Measurement from Jeff's picture indicate

     Unknown Pelican              293 pixels
     American White Pelican    414 pixels

Notice also that the Unknow Pelican is facing away from the camera.

Suppose that we assume that this is a Brown Pelican and solve for the
angle that the bird is facing away from the camera:

     51 * cos(angle) / 61 = 293 / 414

The angle is 30 degrees, probably about how much the unknown pelican
is facing away from the perpendicular to camera-bird line.

This calculation would support the identification of Brown Pelican.

<http://biosci.umn.edu/~mou/temp/DSC00007.JPG>http://biosci.umn.edu/~mou/temp/DSC00007.JPG

Thanks.
---
David Cahlander <mailto:david@cahlander.com>david@cahlander.com
Burnsville, MN 952-894-5910

--
Anthony X. Hertzel -- axhertzel@sihope.com
--============_-1129737126==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
apparently has had its feathers oiled or stained.</div>
this bird.&nbsp; Notice that it appears smaller than the bird to its
right.&nbsp; The Brown Pelican should be smaller than the American
White Pelican.&nbsp; Sibley indicates&nbsp;sizes of</div>
Pelican&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
inches</div>
inches</div>
Pelican&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
pixels</div>
camera.</div>
the angle that the bird is facing away from the camera:</div>
pelican is facing away from the perpendicular to&nbsp;camera-bird
line.</div>
Pelican.</div>
href="http://biosci.umn.edu/~mou/temp/DSC00007.JPG"
>http://biosci.umn.edu/~mou/temp/DSC00007.JPG</a></div>