[mou] Hudsonian Godwits - Lake Byllesby

Chad Aakre chadaakre@hotmail.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:21:46 -0500

O.k.  I know this is totally crazy but the short story is this:

Hudsonian Godwit - One breeding plumage bird

Location:

I parked about 1/2 mile east of Randolf on County Road 88.   I then walked
over the tracks and down to the shore.   It was prime viewing of extensive
mudflats.   Hundreds yellowlegs and pecs.
I observed the bird from 6:30 to 6:40 and then from 7:10 to 8:30.   It was
still there when I left.

Here is the long story:

I was traveling to a workshop in Farminton and decided to stop at the lake
on the way.  I got down to the shore and scanned the shorebirds and noticed
the bird.   I was dumbfounded.   I was flabergasted.  I was amazed.   What
can I say?   I know that the chances are phenomenal, but I was looking at a
Hudsonian Godwit.   Only about 100 meters away in perfect sun with no wind.
It couldn't have been any other bird.   So I look for a while and then run
back to the car to find a payphone so I can get some other birders there.
So I stopped at a gas station in Randolph and was informed that there are no
pay phones in Randolph as everyone uses cell phones ( except me!!).  So I
traveled about 5 miles up the road to the gas station next to little oscars
and payed 4 bucks and made 4 calls.   I then went back to the spot and
arrived at about 7:10.   I found the bird right away and watched it until
8:30 when I could still just barely make it out.   Have you ever watched the
same bird through a scope with one eye closed for an hour and 20 minutes.
Its not as easy as you think.   I didn't dare look away as I wanted to make
sure I didn't lose the bird lest another birder show up and I have lost it.
  No other birders showed up!  Dang!  Well, anyways, I watched the bird feed
and I memorized its plumage patterns and body proportions relative to the
abundant Lesser Yellowlegs feeding next to it.  I took notes in flurryed
script.  At 7:25 it took off in flight and I watched it circle and land on
the other side.   I could still make it out in the scope.   While in flight
I observed the white wing stripe and the white rump standing out plain as
day.  On the other side it wasn't much more than a silloette (sorry can't
spell).   At 7:45 it flew a little to the left and I got to see the wings
and rump again.   At 8:05 it flew back closer again (about 100 meters away)
and there it stayed feeding in that area until dark.   It should be there at
dawn tomorrow morning.  I also noticed that when it was agitated it would
move its wings and show a little white patch from the rump.  Anyways, I hope
some of you will be there at dawn tomorrow.  I am going to try to be there
tomorrow morning.   This bird really sticks out and I doubt it would be
overlooked very easily.

Even in the face of absurdity it is impossible to not recognize what is in
front of you.

Chad Aakre
Winona County